Tacos have become quite popular; so much so that in most people’s list of favorite foods, taco often ranks high.
Taco dishes are staple to every Mexican cuisine, and may have originated as common fare in the 19th century Mexican silver mines. In the silver mines, the word taco referred to pieces of paper used for wrapping gunpowder.
Much later, rural migrants to Mexico City opened taco shops called “taquerias,” and made the tasty miner’s staple food popular among the city’s working class. Eventually, Mexico City became a taco hub, where “taquerias” competed by concocting different taco fillings and sauces.
Traditional Mexican tacos though, are not hard, unlike the kind of tacos offered by fast food chains Taco Bell and Glen Bell. Apparently, hard taco shells stay fresh for longer periods, when compared to the soft taco tortilla types.
What are the Ingredients of a Regular Taco
First off, most tortillas, the thin flat pancake like wrap are either made from cornmeal or flour. It is the traditional wrap used in authentic Mexican tacos.
The most popular taco fillings are beef, pork, or fish, garnished with shredded cheese, lettuce, or with guacamole or if preferred, with pico de gallo. Guacamole by the way, is a seasoned mixture of mashed avocado, and finely chopped tomatoes,onions and chili peppers.
Pico de Gallo on the other hand, consists of finely chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro but with less liquid. The same ingredients, if added with more liquid make up a basic taco sauce or salsa, but often made spicier with a dash or so of chili peppers.
What Makes Tacos Popular Among Food Lovers
Taco lovers cite simple reasons why this Mexican dish is among their favorites:
* Tacos are great to have any time of the day, be it for breakfast, quick lunch, for dinner and even for late night hunger bites.
* Taco variations abound; there is a taco for any type of eater, be he a carnivore, a vegan, or pescatarian.
* It is great to eat tacos in any kind of weather, as tacos can be partaken as light dishes during warm days, or as hot hearty meals during colder days.
* There is a host of taco sauces to try for variations, making tacos even more versatile as food choice.
* The best part about eating tacos, is that it’s always okay to eat more than one.